- “Creative Writing in the Shadow of Austerity.” North Dakota Quarterly 85.1-4 (2018): 140-156. Print. Available for purchase here.
- “‘Frost-Crisp’d’ Verses: Adelaide Crapsey’s Cinquains and the Poetics of Illness.” Adelaide Crapsey: On the Life and Work of an American Master. Eds. Jenny Molberg and Christian Bancroft. Warrensburg: Pleiades Press, 2018. 195-217. Available for purchase here.
- “A Defense of the Artist-Critic.” Part 2. Massachusetts Review 59.1 (March 2018): 145-161. Available for purchase here.
- “A Defense of the Artist-Critic.” Part 1. Massachusetts Review 58.4 (December 2017): 702-718. Available for purchase here.
- “Waking the Dreamer: Link’s Awakening, Fantasy Utopias, and the Ethics of Suffering.” Response | The Digital Journal of Popular Culture Scholarship 2.1 (November 2017).
- “Sir Walter Scott and the Transgression of Anachronistic Borders: The Ideological Fantasy of Westphalian Sovereignty in The Talisman.” European Romantic Review 28.2 (April 2017): 203-225.
- Headnotes in On Writing Short Stories, 2nd Edition. Ed. Tom Bailey. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Introduction to “An Interview with Porochista Khakpour.” Co-authored with Jessica Boudakian. Modern Language Studies Vol. 39.1 (2009): 11-15.
INTERVIEWS (The Sidebar Podcast)
As the fiction and poetry editor for Modern Language Studies, Patrick hosts The Sidebar: The Fiction & Poetry Podcast of Modern Language Studies. Each episode of The Sidebar features a conversation with, and a reading by, an author published in the journal. So far, the series has interviewed poet B.K. Fischer, poet-translator Richard Jeffrey Newman, and fiction writer K.C. Mead-Brewer.
- “Multiverse, Unlimited: Salvatore Pane’s The Theory of Almost Everything,” review in Entropy. November 2018.
- “Sharpshooters, Straight Shooters, and Tall Tales: On John Larison’s Whiskey When We’re Dry,” review in The Millions. September 2018.
- Review of Heather Bell Adams’s Maranatha Road, in Necessary Fiction. March 2018.
- Review of Minae Mizumura’s Inheritance from Mother, in Necessary Fiction. May 2017.
- Review of Dinitia Smith’s The Honeymoon, in Necessary Fiction. October 2016.
- Review of Salvatore Pane’s Mega Man 3, in Entropy. October 2016.
- Review of Wendy J. Fox’s The Pull of It, in Necessary Fiction. September 2016.
- Review of Claudia Smith’s Quarry Light, in Necessary Fiction. March 2014.
- Review of Christopher Stackhouse’s Plural, in Sugar House Review. Vol. 9 (Fall/Winter 2013): 87-90.
- Review of Amanda LeDuc’s The Miracles of Ordinary Men, in Necessary Fiction. August 2013.
- Review of Lisa Dordal’s Commemoration, in Sugar House Review. Vol. 8 (Spring/Summer 2013): 65-68.
- Review of Bill Harris’s Booker T. & Them: A Blues, in Sugar House Review. Vol. 7 (Fall/Winter 2012): 74-77.
- Review of David Foster Wallace’s The Pale King, in Modern Language Studies. Vol. 42.1 (2012): 86-95.
- Review of Djuna Barnes’s Smoke and Other Stories, in The Short Review. May 2012.
- Review essay of Ian McEwan’s Amsterdam, Atonement, Saturday, and On Chesil Beach, in Modern Language Studies. Vol. 38.1 (2008): 75-84.